top of page
  • Genna Nichol

Speech Language Pathologist or Communicative Disorders Assistant—Who Can Help Me?

At Aspire Speech, we have both speech language pathologists (SLPs) and communicative disorder assistants (CDAs) ready to help you. Both professions can help you reach your speech and language goals.

Below are some of the main differences between the two:

In Ontario, SLPs are required to have a Master of Science in speech-language pathology. They are regulated under the College of Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists of Ontario (CASLPO). With these qualifications, SLPs are allowed to provide both assessments and therapy. An assessment is the initial session where potential difficulties in speech and language are identified.

CDAs must have a graduate certificate from a communicative disorders assistant program. They are not required to be regulated. However, CDAs are often registered with the Communicative Disorders Assistant Association of Canada (CDAAC). CDAs can only work under the supervision of an SLP and cannot provide assessment services. They are only allowed to provide therapy using the goals and advice provided by the SLP.

SLPs and CDAs may differ in qualifications, but both share broad experience and knowledge in speech therapy.

52 views0 comments


bottom of page